Remember When

George Ames was an early businessman and philanthropist who arrived in Michigan City in 1834. A druggist by trade, Ames owned a hardware store. By 1869, the Ames Second Regiment Band was formed. He landscaped the grounds of the new Michigan City school built in 1880, and planted over 1,000 trees and shrubs. The former Michigan City Public Library building, completed in 1897, was partially funded with a $5,000 bequest by Ames. In 1939, Ames Field was completed in his honor. For information regarding this photo, contact mbarber@laportecountyhistory.org.

Remember When

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.