Remember When

The John Walker house, 2001 Monroe, operated as a Toll Gate House when the Yellow River Road (Monroe) was a plank road. It was located on the east side of the Monroe / Scott Streets intersection. Walker’s other home, “Oak Grove,” became part of St. Rose Academy in 1856. The Civic Auditorium now stands at that location. Walker was one of five settlers who were instrumental in the founding of La Porte. He owned the land where La Porte was platted in 1831-1832 and influenced the early history of the town. For information regarding this photo, contact mbarber@laportecountyhistory.org.

Remember When

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.