Remember When

Submitted by the La Porte County Historical SocietyA group of tennis players at Camp Tuff on Holmes Island in La Porte in 1884. Holmes Island, the current Pine Lake peninsula, was founded by Professor John B. Holmes who, in 1878, opened the Holmes Shorthand Business College. He opened a resort on Holmes Island in 1886 which included 18 bedrooms and a wrap-around porch. Holmes Island covered about 10 acres and had seven to eight miles of beach. 

Remember When

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.